Concerned about the safety and whereabouts of your kid while he or she is driving alone? Worried about your valuables, luggage or car? A GPS tracking device can put all your worries to rest by providing instant real time information about the location of your loved ones or valuable objects in seconds. You can receive the information via text, e-mail or through a map on your computer or smartphone. A GPS tracking device is a handy tool that allows you to track the whereabouts of your kids, elderly parents, pets and valuables. But when it comes to choosing a GPS tracker, there are different kinds of trackers in the market. It is important to make sure that the GPS tracker you choose has some essential features such as real time tracking, alerts and notifications, quality mapping, easy compatibility with other devices, etc.
What is a GPS Tracker?
The GPS tracking system (Global Positioning System) was developed by the U.S government and it can be used to pin point the location of any object or individual. The GPS tracking system works with the help of 31 active satellites that are present in the orbit of the earth. The tracker receives information about the object you are searching in the form of signals from these satellites which it uses to point the location of the object. GPS tracks use signals from multiple satellites to find out the location of the object.
Things to Look for While Choosing a GPS Device
Passive Tracking System/ Real-Time Tracking System – GPS devices have either a passive tracking system of real-time tracking system.
- Passive Tracking System – The receiver unit of passive tracking system stores all GPS data which is downloaded to a local server only after the vehicle returns home for the day. Passive tracking system requires large amount of memory for storing the data.
- Real-Time Tracking System – Also known as active tracking system uses a cellular or satellite modem located within the GPS system. It continuously updates the data into the server based on a preset frequency. Real-time tracking system is more efficient at providing current location of an object which allows you to take immediate action in case of an emergency.
- Alerts and Notifications – It is best to choose a GPS device that provides real-time alerts and notifications which will allow you to take instant action. With this feature, you won’t need to stick to the computer or smartphone screen all day. You will receive instant alerts or messages if your car is speeding excessively or entering a restricted geographic area.
- Quality Mapping – This is yet another important feature of any GPS device that allows you to zoom into street levels and provides different views of the area – bird’s eye, street maps, satellite. For this feature, the GPS system has to be partnered with a good mapping system to ensure accurate and up-to-date mapping.
- Mobile Compatibility – It is not possible to sit in front of your monitor the entire day to keep track of your vehicle or vehicles. So, make sure that the tracking system you choose has a mobile app or user portal that you can access with an internet-connected mobile device and monitor your vehicle no matter where you are.
|GPS Tracker||subscription||warranty||Buy Now|
|Autowiz Gps Car Tracker - Plug N Play||1-year||1-year||Check the Price|
|Acumen Tracker UC 900 GPS Tracker||1-year||1-year||Check the Price|
|SAM GPS Tracker Device with Anti Theft Alarm||1-year||1-year||Check the Price|
|ZAICUS ST-901 Built-in Battery GPS Tracker||Lifetime||1-year||Check the Price|
|Sana GPS Tracker With Free One Year Software and Sim Recharge||1-year||1-year||Check the Price|
|STREETSMART GPS Tracker||1-year||N.A||Check the Price|
|Trakbond Mini GPS Tracker for Kids||2 Months||N.A||Check the Price|
|VR Mini Gps Tracker RF-V16||N.A||N.A||Check the Price|
Best GPS Tracking Devices in India
First on our list is the AutoWiz OBD GPS Car tracker. A simple Plug N Play GPS tracker for cars, trucks and SUVs.
The very reason why the Autowiz GPS tracker takes the first place on our list is because of its sheer reliability and abundant positive ratings by happy users.
- Dedicated App monitor over a dozen different aspects of your car for you
- Real-time tracking updates every 3 seconds with a detailed path
- Trip reports on the app and compares with historical trips
- Designated location notifications. Now know when the car leaves or arrives at a place.
- Lets your friends and family track a single tracker using various mobiles temporarily
- Car Care monitors the health of your car’s battery vitals, coolant temperature and engine trouble codes.
- Anti-Theft alarm notifies when the car is being accessed unauthorized or when it is being towed
- Driver behaviour tracking and save your car from being rashly driven or fuel wastage
- Built-in SIM Card with a 1-year subscription
- App available on Android and iOS
- 1 Lithium battery included in the packaging
Warranty and Support: The AutoWiz OBD GPS tracker comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty for the product and 1-year SIM subscription
- A highly reliable piece of hardware
- Not just for cars but also works for trucks, buses and any vehicle with a J1939 OBDII port.
- Ensures safe driving and saves fuel and relieves of tension
- Ideal for not just individuals but also cab owners or families where each member owns a different car too
- Not Waterproof
- Not for bikes
Next on our list is a very humble GPS tracker, the Acumen Tracker UC 900.
Like the AutoWiz tracker, the Acumen tracker wins the second position on our list only due to the sheer brilliance in the device performance and its quality.
- Acumen Mobile tracking app with real-time tracking detailed trip memories for over 60 days
- Maps powered by google street and satellite map
- Create Geo-Fence and get notified when the vehicle crosses the fence
- Anti-Theft Alarm when the engine turns on or off without authorization
- Control the switch of the car with the app. Turn it on or off at your will and even lock it.
- Includes a built-in sim card with one-year app subscription
- Lithium polymer batteries included in the packaging
Warranty and Support:
Acumen provides you with a 1-year replacement warranty. The warranty is covered across India but be sure that it does not cover burning or self-damage. For support, you can call 9910498240.
- Real-time tracking 24/7
- App compatible with Android and iOS
- GEO fencing helps you keep track of your vehicle crossing any predesignated boundaries
- Very reliable device
- Compatible not just with cars, trucks or SUVs but also to bikes too
- Comes with a 1-year replacement warranty
- No device stats or fuel updates
Next on our list is an aesthetically pleasing GPS security system, the SAM GPS tracking system.
Apart from its aesthetically pleasing and compact size, the reason why SAM lands third on our list is because of its waterproof capabilities and device reliability.
- Waterproof body
- Track your vehicle anywhere with realtime GPS
- Travel history video for overal trip details
- Daily analytics and statistics such as performance, idle time, run time, total distance covered, max speed, average speed and speed limit crossing details
- Geo-fencing notification when the vehicle crosses your pre-set fence.
- Anti-Theft alarm and notifications in cases of unauthorized ignition or towing away
- Power down vehicle during the event of a theft in a single click
- Batteires included in packaging
- 1-year app and sim subscription included with the installation manual
Warranty and Support:
SAM comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty on the hardware and free lifetime support on the software. For support, contact 7838819105
- Small compact and easily fits into a hidden location
- Waterproof in nature
- Has good warranty and support coverage
- Hardware has reliability issues
- GPS calibration issues
- Geo-Fencing not on par
- Un-reliable customer care
Next up, we have the ZAICUS ST-901. It is a waterproof GSM enabled GPS tracker with built-in battery.
The reason why ZAICUS makes our list is because it is the most affordable waterproof GPS car tracker on our list.
- In-Built battery fo 150mAH
- Waterproof design
- Supports 4 different frequencies of GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and thus can work anywhere in the world
- Real-time tracking supported with a Google link
- Geo-fencing support
- Single location
- Overspeeding alarm
- Detects ignition and alerts with notification and alarm
- Main power off feature
Warranty and Support:
ZAICUS provides you with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty on the product and lifetime support for the app.
- Very economic product
- In built battery
- Supports various frequencies
- Does not come with a sim card nor subscription
- GPS accuracy issues
- Lacks proper support
The SANA is a cross vehicle compatible GPS tracker device that comes with free one year subscription to Sim and tracking software
- 1 Year Sana App subscription
- 1-year sim card subscription
- Has a fast Indian Server
- 3 Months travel playback history
- Anti-theft alarm and notifications
- Power down the engine when any ignition is detected
- Alarm notifications when it is being towed away
- Geofences to set up dedicated areas of driving
- Over speeding alerts and notifications
- Batteries included in the packaging
Warranty and Support:
The SANA GPS tracker comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty on the product and the software.
- Compact device
- Ideal not just for cars but for bikes too
- Has an Indian server than a slow Chinese server
Finally, on our list is the StreetSmart by ZIOCOM. It is not just a GPS tracker but a passenger safety solution.
Apart from its highly stylized looks, the StreetSmart’s 24/7 roadside assistance features make it worthy of making it to the 6th position of our list.
- 24/7 Road Side Assistance from the ZICOM command centre for issues such as emergency break down, accidents, lack of fuel.
- Alert options such as SOS during accidents, rash driving, towing and Geofence and unauthorized ignition
- Realtime GPS tracking
- Speed tracking
- Fuel expenditure reports
- Car Diagnostics with stats related to battery, engine etc.,
- Free 1-year subscription to the ZICOM services and after that it is Rs.1999 per year
Warranty and Support: No mention of the warranty is available. Please contact the customer support for any assistance at 1-800-270-4567
- Very compact and stylish design
- Has roadside assistance in events of break down, fuel low, accidents etc 24/7
- Alerts and power ignition control
- Free subscription for a year.
- No warranty
Best GPS Tags for kids
The following are the two best GPS tags available that you can place on your pets and kids in order never to lose them or keep an eye on them.
TrakBond is a GPS tracker device that is specifically built for kids and it even has a longer battery version for adults and teens too.
Its SOS button, unknown area automatic alert texts places it on our list as one of the best GPS tracking devices for kids
- Live tracking for 24/7 on our loved ones in school, churches, parks or any corner of the world.
- Unknown area alert gives you a notification when your kid goes to unknown places or forbidden areas
- Panic help button, when pressed by the kid, alerts you of their danger or when they need you.
- The timeline feature gives you where the kid roamed about in a day or till that time
- Comes with a neckband and a clipper to attach it to the kids’ shirt or lets them wear it around their neck
- Simple installation procedure
- Comes in attractive colours to encourage the kid to use it
- Free sim card with 2 Months of subscription available and other prepaid plans available with unlimited data usage
Warranty and Support:
Trakbond seems to be providing warranty to the product and battery but the exact duration and further warranty information unavailable.
- Handy, simple and compact to use
- SOS button is very helpful
- Kids will love to have a device around
- Lacks proper warranty information
Best of the lot, the VR smart mini is a GPS tracker that also acts as an SOS mobile phone.
Its ability to program in 2 SOS numbers and a microphone that lets you talk with your kid in emergencies places it on our list of best GPS trackers for kids
- Location accuracy up to 10 metres
- One-click call to 2 different SOS numbers
- Tracking app available in Android and iOS, website, we-chat and SMS too
- Geofencing and unknown area alerts available
- Low battery alerts
- 1-way audio surveillance available
- USB based charging. No batteries required
Warranty and Support: No warranty and support available for this product.
- Affordable and economic
- Does not need batteries. Can be charged using a USB
- 2 way talking available via SOS calls
- You can toggle the notifications on the app. With vibrate, without notification lights etc.,
- No warranty
- GPS not so accurate inside buildings
- Not so ideal for old people
Wrapping it up:
With a dedicated app that keeps updating every 3 seconds, highly reliable hardware, 1-year subscription, 1-year warranty, car stats monitoring and the ability to share access of car location to family and friends, the Autowiz Obd Gps Car Tracker – Plug N Play tracking device stands as the best GPS tracker of our list. While that stands, we would love to hear your opinions. Do you have any questions regarding GPS trackers or any other tech product? Did we miss out on anything? Feel free to write to us in the comments section below and our experts will get back to you very shortly.