Summer is extremely hot in India as the temperature goes to a whopping of 45°. During this time, most of the people tend to buy cooling appliances like AC and air coolers. If you are the one looking for budget-friendly devices that are packed with amazing features, then Air cooler is the best choice.
They are the effective devices used to cool air during the hottest times of the day and also when the humidity levels drop below 60%.
How air cooler works?
Air coolers are evaporative cooling devices that are used to lower the temperature and increase humidity levels in the air. For this to happen, it makes use of latent heat evaporation by changing liquid water to water vapor.
To be more specific, if you switch on the cooler, the hot air from surroundings is penetrated into the cooler via cooling pads which in turn cool down the air before it gets released into the room.
[amazon box=”B00IYD419Q, B01BSQRLEW, B01BSQRI7C” grid=”3″ tracking_id=”tz01-21″]
Now, it’s the right time for you to upgrade to Air Coolers that meets your demands. To match the user requirements, air cooler should best feature the fan speed, airflow distance, and the cooling nature.
For more information about air coolers read our Buying Guide. If you are the one who doesn’t love to spend much time on reading, then directly read the products description given below.
Best Air Coolers in India: 2018 Reviews
|Brand||Water Tank Capacity||Power consumption ||Buy Now|
|Symphony Diet 12T||12 Liters||170 Watts||Check the Price|
|Cello Trendy with Remote Control||22 Liters||180 Watts||Check the Price|
|Kenstar Double Cool Dx||50 Liters||200 Watts||Check the Price|
|Orient Electric Smartcool Dx CP2002H||20 Liters||140 Watts||Check the Price|
|Bajaj Platini PX97 TORQUE||36 Liters||100 Watts||Check the Price|
|Crompton Personal||7 Liters||--||Check the Price|
|Usha Honeywell CL 601PM||55 Liters||200 Watts||Check the Price|
When it comes to the powerful air throw and efficiency, no one can beat the Symphony air cooler. It occupies first place in the list because of the amazing functionalities like dust protection, multi-directional castor wheels and automatic options that make the life better at affordable prices.
It comes in a very compact design compared to the other models and occupies minimal space in your room. For this reason, many of the customers show interest to purchase the product.
When you turn on the device, the air can be deflected in 2 ways with a motor speed of 1400 rpm. You can feel the coolness when the room temperature is limited to 40° and within the range of 100Sq.ft distance.
The cooler has the storage capacity of 12 liters and there are tuners to select the speed -low, medium and high.
It has long-lasting life, as the body and fans are made with thermo and aerodynamic plastic materials which can be used for both indoor and outdoor locations.
The dura-pump technology embedded in this cooler, offer 15GPM of free air-flow rate and overheat protection with greater durability.
Multi-directional wheels allow the cooler to move from one location to another. There is a vent hole at the rear-side of the cooler that is made with a rubber stopper to discharge the excess or drain water in the machine.
If there is a power-cut, the symphony air cooler works even on inverters. The following are the specifications maintained by the Symphony brand while designing air coolers, for the handiness of users.
- 18cm of fan diameter.
- 12litres of tank capacity.
- 170W of power consumption.
- Power required is 230V/50Hz.
- Cooling Coverage Area is 100Sq.ft
- Dura-pump with Honeycomb cooling pad.
- Weighs 7.7kg.
- Very economical to buy.
- Auto-louver movement.
- Protective mosquito & dust net.
- Multi-directional castor wheels.
- 1-year of warranty by the product manufacturer.
- No ice chamber.
If you are looking for temporary cooling solutions just for the sake of hot summer months, then you should try this Cello Trendy Air Cooler. You don’t actually need to spend more money on installation and maintenance, as compared to the other air conditioners.
The powerful blowers, turbo cooling system, and honeycomb cooling pads; allows the air to reach every corner of the room.
It also comes with adjustable humidity controller, dust filter & mosquito net convenient features to have a better sleep (protection) by increasing the cooling efficiency.
There is a water inlet at the top and back side so that you pour enough quantity (in liters) into it. It further contains an ice-chamber that is packed with ice-cubes for quick cooling performance.
With the help of remote controller (containing 5 switches), you can perform specific tasks like swing, cooling, timer, speed and the power button to make the blowers boost air in 4-directions.
There is an alarm feature that will blow up your ears when the tank is empty. It also comes with enormous water tank capacity to provide cooling for a long time at low energy costs and also occupies less space.
For its remote controlling options and the tank capacity, made to list as one of the best air coolers in India.
- Honeycomb cooling pads.
- 7-inch powerful blower.
- Powerful surround cooling system.
- Item weighs 10.5kg.
- Remote controlling.
- 1-year of warranty.
- 22 liters of tank capacity.
- 180W of power consumption.
- Bit expensive than Symphony model.
The next one on our list is from Kenstar brand. The name of the item is Kenstar double cooler which is sold by Amazing Deals forever. It is committed to providing high standard services to the customers.
If you are the one looking for an air-cooler that is packed with wonderful features and high-quality performance then this one is for you. Grab it as soon as possible, as you won’t get such products at reasonable prices.
The Kenstar double cooler has a high water tank capacity of 50 liters that can work continuously overnight. Further, it has a 4-way air deflection that is built with Quadra flow technology.
This wonderful product is available in white/grey color combinations that consume 200 watts power. It comes with a 3-speed fan controller for monitoring the speed of fans, a light weighted or sleek design that can fit in a small room or office.
It has an air through the capacity of 45-feet that delivers 1750 cubic meters/hour to keep the temperatures down for a period of time.
The kenstar double cooler makes use of wood wool evaporative pads that do a great job of cooling thereby reduces the surrounding humidity levels. The inverter compatibility and low-power consumption nature make the cooler budget-friendly.
The caster wheels make the cooler move freely in all directions.
On the whole, the performance is too good and the major downside of this product is that it produces loud noise when the motor runs continuously for a long period of time and also there is no drainage point to drain extra water completely.
- Louvre movement.
- 4 ways of air deflection.
- Quadra flow technology
- Wood wool evaporative pads.
- Easy to install.
- Reasonable price.
- Consumes less power.
- 50 liters of water tank capacity.
- Average built quality.
- Low-noise interference.
Yes, the next amazing model is going to be from Orient brand, and the name of the item is Orient CP2002H electric smart cooler.
The manufacturer offers 1 year of warranty. However its price is low, you can buy the item without making a second thought.
Orient electric smart air cooler is an efficient and powerful cooler that possess strong cooling abilities.
When you look at the cooler, it comes with a simple design that is available in white or grey colors. It has an air throw distance of 8-meters in 4-way deflections using 3 speeds controllers-low, medium and high.
This cooler comes with the tank capacity of 20 liters, mosquito net protection, ice chamber, 4 castor wheels and adjustable horizontal/vertical louvers.
The air in the cooler can deliver at a rate of 1300 cubic meter/hour and the honeycomb pads help in retaining and cooling the water by offering better performance to the users.
To make the cooler work, it utilizes 140 watts of power supply. It is also compatible with the inverter so that it can be powered during power cut times.
If there is excess water in the cooler, it will drain through rubber cork.
The only thing that we didn’t like in this product is the poor drainage system and the little noise makes you bit irritating. Apart from this, it’s totally good one to buy as it has an excellent fan speed and less power consumption features.
- Dust filter.
- Weighs 12Kg.
- 3-speed motors.
- DenseNest technology.
- High gloss durable body.
- Monitorized vertical louvers.
- 1-year warranty.
- Affordable price.
- Less power consumption.
- Smooth maintenance and service.
- Poor drainage.
Bajaj is the renowned brand for designing compatible and durable air coolers in India. The name of the product is Bajaj Platini PX97 air cooler. It has been on our list because of its enhanced performance that makes ideal for bedrooms and offices.
To achieve greater durability, the bajaj air cooler is made up of corrosion-free thermoplastic materials. Also, it makes use of powerful motors that are responsible for generating low-noise when you turn on the switch.
It comes with 36 liters of water tank capacity that is sufficient for the full-night usage.
The honeycomb removable pads enhance the device by spreading air at a distance of 30 feet. You can operate the cooler at a very low power of 100 watts and with a 230V of operating voltage.
It also comes with 3-way speed controller for controlling the movement of air flow and caster wheels allow the cooler to move from one place to another place freely.
Always look out for cross-ventilation near your surroundings; else the cooler may not work effectively.
It’s good to know that this product is eligible for a full refund within 10days from the date of purchase in case of any damage to the item.
The performance of the Bajaj Platini device is quite impressive, but the only thing that we didn’t like in this item is the design which is not up to the mark and the little noise production.
- Chill trap technology.
- 4-way air deflection.
- Honeycomb cooling media.
- 30 feet powerful air throws.
- 100 watts of power consumption.
- 36 liters of tank capacity.
- Very economical to buy.
- Less power consumption.
- Horrible design.
- Very low noise.
Last but one in the list is from Crompton brand. It is associated with the BestPriceShop16 to sell the products online. It has very good experience in selling and also offers high standard customer services with 1-year of warranty.
This powerful Crompton air cooler comes with the advanced cooling technology like speed control, powerful air throw, and air-deflection mechanics.
It features 7 liters of water-tank capacity which is good enough for full-night usage without any hassle of re-filling the tank.
The cooling fans are highly permeable that is responsible for the effective temperature control options like low medium and high. It has an impressive air through the range of 20 feet that provides cooling area up to 150 Sq. ft which is suitable for small to medium-sized rooms.
It also features the built-in ice chamber to increase the cooling effect and 4-way deflection-240V/50Hz of power supply required to run the cooler.
As the cooler is equipped with the auto-louver movement and oscillating functions, it ensures the uniform distribution of cool air on both the sides.
The body of the cooler is made of the ABS plastic material which is strong enough to protect the internal circuitry. Though it delivers high-end performance, it’s not much suitable for big rooms or halls.
- Cooler weighs 11.5Kg.
- Built-in ice chamber.
- Advanced cooling technology.
- Honeycomb cooling pads.
- 12-months of warranty.
- 10-feet air throw distance.
- Consumes less power.
- Low tank capacity.
Finally, we would like to end up with the Usha Honeywell Air cooler. It’s a very expensive product compared to the others in the list. That’s why we have listed number 7 of all the best air coolers in this article.
The Usha branded air cooler comes with the 3-sided cooling medium for maximizing the cooling performance. It also has a powerful airflow of 2610 cubic meter/hour (or 1650 CFM) at a distance of 80Sq.m.
As it consumes 200 Watts of a power supply, it will make the device to run faster with greater accuracy. The 55 liters of water tank capacity allows the cooler to work continuously for longer duration without a refill.
It doesn’t come with the remote, so you need to tune manually for operating in low, medium and high modes. Always allow it for the cross-ventilation in your room; otherwise it will not work effectively.
When you make a purchase, this appliance is warranted for 1 year against all the manufacturing defects.
The cooler is fully portable and much suitable for both indoor and outdoor purposes. Though the cost of the Usha cooler is too high, there are some major drawbacks for this item like the low design, poor material quality and also utilizes more power.
- Weighs 17.8Kgs.
- 55 liters of a large water tank.
- 200 watts of power supply.
- 3 side honeycomb cooling media.
- Too expensive.
- Highly portable.
- 1-year warranty.
- Poor plastic quality.
- High power consumption.
Things to Know before Buying an Air Cooler
As you all know that air coolers come in numerous sizes to meet the cooling requirements. Here are some major factors that every individual must know before buying an air cooler.
1. Types of Air Coolers
Knowing the different types of air coolers is important to get an efficient cooling device in your home. There are only 2 different types of air coolers available in the market now that are categorized based on the functionalities.
- Personal Air Cooler or Room Air Cooler
- Desert Air Cooler
Personal Air Cooler
Personal air coolers or room air coolers are to be placed in the room (mostly bedrooms). When it is done, it absorbs the moisture levels from inside the room, cools down to few degrees by releasing the cool air from the cooler.
These are much suitable for small and medium-sized rooms as it makes use of blowers for cooling. It is less powerful compared to desert coolers.
You need to fill the tank 4 times using 5 liters bucket of which the total capacity of the personal air cooler tank is 20-30 liters. From this, we can conclude that the size of the water tank is correlated to the cooler size.
Desert Air Cooler
Desert air coolers are mostly suitable for the places outside the window. These coolers take the air from outside, cools down and release the air into the room. Also, the fan present on the desert air cooler works as an exhaust.
This comes with the tank capacity of 30-60 liters that decreases the number of fillings.
If you use small tank coolers, there may be chances of emptying the tank overnight and again you need to refill the tank (3-5 times a day) to save from high temperatures or summer days. But, when you use large water tanks, it ensures 1-2 refills per day.
Most of these desert air coolers are equipped with huge fans for cooling and to flow the air in rooms or big halls. These desert coolers are bit expensive compared to the personal air coolers.
Given below table completely explains the 2 different air coolers by considering the features like tank capacity, air circulation and room types that have same functionalities.
|Feature||Room Air Cooler||Desert Air Cooler|
|Tank Capacity||20-30 liters||30-60 liters|
|Air circulation||Huge fans||Blowers|
2. Size of Room and Air Cooler
Size is the foremost important factor that you should consider while purchasing air coolers. It gives you a clear idea about where to keep the cooler in your room and enjoy the cooling offered by it.
If your room size is small or medium then go with the personal (or room) air cooler and for bigger rooms, you can purchase desert air coolers.
|Size of the room||Cooler tank capacity|
Also check the product description thoroughly to compare the room size with the air cooler. To check for it, the different sized air coolers are rated by air delivery CFM-Cubic Feet per Minute and are calculated using the formula…
CFM (in hours) = (room Surface area in Sq.ft*height*0.84)
For your convenience, a small illustration is given. Consider a room of size 100 Sq.ft along with a ceiling height of 10 feet. On totaling, it will become 1000 cubic feet (100*10). Now, the CFM will be half of the cubic feet which are 500 (1000/2).
Room size=100 square feet
Ceiling height= 10 feet
Total=100*10=1000 cubic feet
CFM=cubic feet/2 =1000/2=500.
3. Cooling pads
Cooling pads are the one that just makes use of pads to cool the air through the evaporation of water. These are equipped in almost all air coolers and when the air passes, you can sense the coolness produced by these pads.
There are just 2 top-class cooling pads available in the market irrespective of the prices.
- Honeycomb cooling pads
- Wood wool cooling pads
Both of them are made from quality materials and tested. As they are available in wide ranges, cooling pads are much more suitable for using in latest models of coolers and are available at market leading prices.
4. Power consumption and Tank capacity
The tank capacity of the air cooler decides whether you want to use it for small rooms or extended usage. The small tanks usually hold the water up to 20-30 liters whereas the bigger size tanks have the capacity of 30-60 liters. So choose wisely when you purchase the air cooler by considering the tank capacity.
All these air coolers may consume the power ranging from 90-200Watts. If you want the cooler that consumes less power or saves your electricity bill then there are some advanced coolers that feature inverters. So you can opt for it or else go with the low-priced models.
Budget or Price of the cooler is the key factor you should look into. As the days are passing, the running costs of the air coolers may greatly vary among numerous models.
The best choice for you is to buy the air coolers that feature an inverter which has reduced the energy usage and the great cost savings. If you are not willing to invest huge for air coolers, then there are many alternatives for you that come at very low prices and wonderful features.
You must choose the air coolers wisely by reading the descriptions, pros & cons of each and every product. Else you won’t get for what you wish for and the total money will be wasted.
6. Climatic conditions
Based on the climatic conditions of your residing location, you can choose either personal or desert air coolers. Though these are a boon for cooling indoor places at warm weather conditions, it depends on the climate where you live. It helps you to understand the mechanism of air coolers and is the key factor to keep your home cool.
7. Some Other factors to consider
Given below are some of the amazing features that you should keep in mind when you wish to purchase the air coolers online.
- Pad thickness – The thickness of the cooling pad plays an important role in air cooling operation as they are placed on 2 sides and rear of the cooler. It provides better cooling performance when the pads have a minimum thickness of 90mm.
- Blower speed – The speed of the blower is responsible for producing extreme coolness from the cooler. The air flow speed in the cooler can be controlled by performing the blower control options. Most of the air coolers come with the variable speed control options ranging from 3 to 7.
- Electronic thermostats – These electronic thermostats are equipped with many of the electronic devices in the recent times. If it is used, then you can directly switch the system power using the thermostat. Some of the high-end coolers come with the electronic thermostats that allow you to change the speed of the fan, on/off switch of the pump automatically.
- Water level controller – Water level controller features are mostly seen in modern air coolers. The automatic water level controllers ensure the whether the water is filled up to the pre-set levels and stop flooding. When water in the tank reaches to the pre-set levels, either it alarms or buzzes and stops flowing of water. For optimum functioning of the air cooler, it controls the inlet pipe of the cooler flowing water into it.
- Water level indicator – Nowadays you can see the water level indicator on all the air coolers of the water tank. It helps you to analyze how much water is left in the tank. There are actually 3 water level indicator modes on the tank, namely- low, medium and high. If the indicator reading points to the low water level, then you can fill the tank with water manually or automatically depending on the specified models. In the other 2 cases, you need not worry until and unless it reaches to the low-level.
- Automatic shutoff dampers – Automatic shutoff dampers are the flaps present in the cooler. It discharges the fan to reduce the loss of cooling from the cooler. They usually present in the duct to open up when the fan starts and shuts when fan stops.
- Remote control – Remote controlling feature gives you a hands-on feeling for easy and convenient modes of operation. With this, you can also control the fan speed simply by touching a button. There are more chances of connecting air coolers to the smart devices in future.
- Casters – Caster is a just a wheel mounted on a device to ensure the free movement of an object. Check whether the air coolers you buy have caster wheels or not. If this isn’t included along with the cooler then you need to invest a little in casters which allow the air coolers to move freely from one position to another.
- Timer – The timer is a wonderful choice equipped with modern air coolers. You can set the time in the cooler for your convenient sleeping and then it will automatically switch off at that particular point in time.
- Ice cube tray – It sounds good right, especially when you heard about the ice-cube tray. You can actually keep the ice cubes on top of the air cooler tray. It slowly starts melting and the cool ice water gets added to the water tank. You can experience more coolness from the air cooler.
- Air cooler without water – According to the recent studies on air cooler industry, there is a concept of running an air cooler without water. When you make use of this outstanding feature, you don’t actually need an extra water motor or tank, making it more economical. If you are living in water scarcity areas, then this will be a great source for you to overcome the summer heat. It can simply be achieved by pushing the air from a large area to the smaller. Due to the change of air flow, you get cool air, but the effectiveness of cooling is strictly limited. As of now, there are only a few models in India and needs to be upgraded until it is accepted by many of scientists or experts as mainstream usage.
- Installation – The portable devices or the coolers don’t require any installation. They just come with the castors and you can move it easily to the convenient location. You just need to fill the tank with water and connect the plug to a switch. Place the cooler in your desired location and for safety reasons, ensure proper ventilation in the room.
- Performance – Performance of the individual air coolers should be known to everyone. As you can only judge the product on the basis of performance only. If the performance of the air cooler is too good then all the factors that resemble the performance include power utilization, tank capacity, and fan speed are in the correct format. There are some low-performance air coolers that should be avoided completely as it is worthless and completely spoils your mood when you make use of it.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to run air cooler on the inverter?
Air coolers can effectively work on inverters that help to introduce moisture into the air and also lower the temperature. Be sure to use the inverters that are rated and designed appropriately to work on the standards.
2. What is the use of honeycomb pads in air cooler?
When the warm air is drawn into the air cooler, it passes through the honeycomb cooling media. When it gets mixed in the honeycomb pads, causes the water to evaporate and lose heat, resulting moisturized air in the cooler.
3.Do air coolers require a lot of electricity to run?
No, an air cooler doesn’t require a lot of energy. Running an air cooler requires less electricity compared to the air conditioners. Of all the air coolers Honeywell air cooler consumes very less power, making an attractive cooling medium where the electricity cost is too high. The average power consumption of Honeywell air cooler is 193Watts.
4. Why does a desert cooler cool better on a hot dry day?
The desert cooler cools much better on a hot dry day than other days, because of the temperature which is too high and the less humidity. Both of them help in having a high-evaporation rate that gives better cooling effect.
5. How does an evaporative air cooler work?
Evaporative air cooler uses evaporation mechanism to cool the air. The operation is such that when the pump circulates water from the tank to a cooling pad, it becomes wet. The fans draw outside through the cooling pads and when it does, the air is cooled by evaporation.
The key factor to cool the device effectively is to ensure the cooling pads completely saturated at the time and the motors, fans are designed to deliver high air-flow.
6. How waterless air cooler works?
Waterless air coolers are the advanced models that are established in the recent times. It follows the principle of an air cooler that runs without water. When you make use of it, you don’t actually need an extra water tank, making it more economical.
The coolness can simply be achieved by pushing the air from a large area to the smaller. Due to the change of airflow, you get cool air, but the effectiveness of cooling is strictly limited.
7. Will air cooler cause asthma or rheumatism?
Breathing cool air at night times in an air-conditioned bedroom may cause loss of heat from airways that are important for triggering exercise-induced asthma. It also encounters with rheumatism where there is a maximized usage of cooling devices at homes.
8. How to run air cooler on the inverter?
Air coolers can effectively work on inverters that help to introduce moisture into the air and also lower the surrounding temperature. When there is a power cut, switch the cooler to inverting mode. Now the motor starts working in different speed modes-low, medium & high to bring coolness in a room. Be sure to use the inverters that are rated and designed appropriately to work on the standards.
9. Do air coolers require a lot of electricity to run?
No, an air cooler doesn’t require a lot of energy. Running an air cooler requires less electricity compared to the air conditioners. Because the cooling fans connected to the motors utilizes less power and handles it very smoothly thereby generating coolness in a room.
Of all the air coolers Bajaj Platini PX97 air cooler consumes very less power in the given list of best 7. The average power consumption by the Bajaj air cooler is 100 Watts that makes an attractive cooling medium where the electricity cost is too high.
Best air coolers come with wonderful settings to help you out.
Of all the above-mentioned air coolers, we have selected Symphony Air Cooler as the best ever product available in the market now because of its amazing functionalities, product quality, and the affordable nature.
It comes with a 12-liter tank capacity, protective nets, and multi-directional castor wheels. Also, it has a very good review and ratings for this product. It maintains good customer relations by offering 1-year of warranty for the product.
This cooler brings extreme coolness to the room by reaching every corner and makes you fall asleep quickly, even at late nights.
If you have queries about air coolers or have used any of the above-mentioned, please do share with us in the comment section given below.