15 out of 20 most polluted cities are in India— as found by Who (World Health Organization). But surprisingly more than 2 million people die premature deaths because of indoor air pollution. Recent research shows that indoors can be 5 times deadlier than outdoor air! Yes you heard it right!
This is mainly because of poor ventilation, gas fumes from stoves, smoke, paint fumes, varnishes, fungal spores and electronic devices that we bring into home. Since we spend most of the at-home we have higher chances of exposure to all those hazardous allergens.
This is where Air purifiers can help matters a lot! It mainly consists of efficient particulate filters that are designed to eliminate almost 99.97% of airborne allergens.
A best air purifier should have these filters to filter out polluted air:
- HEPA filter – This particular filter is proven to remove mainly dust, pollen, mold, smoke, pet dander, and even hair.
- Carbon filter – This can mainly get rid of gas and chemical fumes, bad odor, and smoke, etc.
- Ionic Filter – This can remove dust, pollen, volatile organic compounds, fungi, bacteria, viruses, and smoke.
- UV Light – This filter can get rid of main micro-organisms like bacteria, viruses, and germs, etc.
Other than these filters, there are many other things to look for if you are in the lookout for a proper air purifier.
Size of the Room –
|Bedrooms (300 Sq.ft)||140|
|Living rooms (400 Sq.ft)||250|
Here CADR refers to the clean-air delivery rate. This measures the cleaning speed and efficiency of the air purifier for removing airborne allergens. ACH is another important feature. This refers to air changes per hour. A good air purifier generally starts at 6 to 8 ACH rating.
Other notable factors to consider are noise, appropriate placement, maintenance costs and energy consumption. If you find all these a bit overwhelming, don’t worry, you can go through our “ Buying Guide ” to make your buying process smooth and hassle-free.
Top 7 Best Air Purifiers in India 2020
Air Purifier for Home CADR No. Of Filters Coverage Area (in Sq Ft) Warranty Buy Online
Coway Air Purifier 303 m3/hr 3 355 5 years Check the Price
Honeywell Air Purifier 300 m3/hr 3 387 1 Year Check the Price
Mi Air purifier 310 m3/h 3 400 1 year Check the Price
Philips Air Purifier 270 m3/hr 3 677 2 years Check the Price
Hindware Air Purifier 215 m3/hr 5 400 1 year Check the Price
Tefal Air Purifier NA 4 377 2 years Check the Price
Daikin Room Air Purifier NA 2 231 1 year Check the Price
Best Air Purifiers Brands in India
A relatively new brand, the Coway Sleek Pro AP-1009 astounds everyone with its wondrous performance.
It earns the second spot on our list due to its versatile functionality, 5 years of warranty , patented Urethane carbon filter and most importantly, having a reliable trust factor with its customers. Because of its Advanced 3 Filter Technology and Fast Clean Air Delivery Rate. (i.e. 303 Cubic mtr / hour).
Filters: Pre Filter, Patented Urethane Carbon Filter & Green Anti-flu HEPA Filter
- Has a Clean Air Delivery Rate of 303 cubic meters per hour
- Silent in operation
- Has a very sleek and intuitive design
- Has a patented Urethane carbon Filter which deodorizes the air in the room perfectly
- Has the longest life for a HEPA filter of 8500 hours per filter
- The multi-layered green anti-flu HEPA filter traps all the PM 2.5 particles and optimizes airflow
- Has an innovative flow path design that ensures maximum and efficient airflow for such a slim air purifier
- 3 Ordinary speed for airflow and a turbo mode
- One-touch speed control
- Lowest power consumption of 38 watts
Room coverage area: 355 Sq.Ft
Warranty and Support: Coway provides you with a 5 years warranty on the air purifier motor and a separate 1-year warranty on the electrical parts. For any further support, please call 1800 102 6960.
- One of the most reliable air purifiers on Amazon
- Slimmest air purifier model
- Easy to use reliability
- Excellent warranty coverage
- Great customer service
- None specifically observed
Next on our list is the Honeywell Air Touch i8 air purifier. Honeywell is a fortune 500 American multinational conglomerate company that
The Honeywell i8’s pre filter and HEPA + HiSiv filtration capabilities along with its trusted ratings are the reasons why it is placed third on our list of the best air purifiers today.
Filters: Pre-filter, HEPA and HiSiv filtration
- Comes with a real-time PM 2.5 and other pollution measurements meter
- 3 stage filtration with patented HiSiv and HEPA filter
- Easy to wash pre-filter
- Seamless product design and polycarbonate body
- Great and clear to read over the dashboard display screen
- Ozone free air purification with the removal of Toxic gases, VOCs, odor and Formaldehydes in the air
- It has about 3000 hours of filter life. Translates to a year of product life if used for 8 hours a day.
- 300m3 / h CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate)
- Available in White and Champagne gold colors
Filters: Pre-filter and HEPA + HiSiv filtration
Room Coverage: 387 sq. ft approximately
Warranty and Support:
The Honeywell i8 air purifier comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty and for any further support, contact their toll-free number 1800-103-4761.
- Great product design and goes well for interiors
- Good performance
- High air delivery rate and thus you can breathe and sleep in peace
- Patented HiSiv filter works great
- The company needs to work towards improving its warranty handling department
From the house of Xiaomi, first on our list is the Mi Air Purifier 2S bundle.
An industry leader in the mobile electronics market, the Mi Air purifier comes with an Echo dot package and even without it, it is one of the most reliable air purifiers and thus takes up the first spot in our list.
- Has an Amazon Echo Dot Bundle Package (available without the echo dot too)
- OLED Display screen for a seamless display
- The display shows the PM 2.5 Concentration, WiFi connectivity, Temperature, Humidity and Mode of Working
- 3 different modes of operation (Auto, Manual and Night)
- Laser Particle sensor for better particular capture and filtering
- 310 m3 PM / HR capacity CADR
- Can be remotely controlled through a mobile app
- 360 degrees air intake for all-round filtration
- 3 Layer air filtration
- 29 Watt power consumption thus does not give you a hefty power bill
Room Size: I deal for up to 400 Sq Ft large rooms.
Warranty and Support:
1 Year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase. For any further support, contact the Mi Support center near your home or call 18001036286
- Lives up to the promise of keeping your home allergen and odour free
- The night mode is really helpful and works silently
- Filter container is spacious to store the power chord
- Easy to install and use
- A little noisy when in manual mode
Philips needs no introduction as a company and it has been a leader in the consumer electronics and electrical industry since 1891.
The reason why the 1000 series AC1215 / 20 Air Purifier by Philips is placed on number four on our list is that it has the ability to cover a massive 677 sq. ft of area and can house in any type of filter between a carbon filter and a HEPA filter.
- Can remove 99.97% allergens thanks to the Extra thick NanoProtect True HEPA filter Series 1
- Can also function with a carbon filter
- It can also remove ultra-fine particles of 0.02 microns and particles that are 100 times smaller than PM 2.5 particles.
- CADR (clean air delivery rate): 270 m3 / hr
- Maximum wattage used at high speed is 50 watts whereas the lowest is 11 watts
- VitaShield Intelligent Purification System (IPS) comes with Automatic Mode, NightSense mode and Allergen Mode
- Certified by AHAM, ECARF, and Airmid
- Touch-based 2 color display panel that gives you all the info and real-time feedback
- Includes a child lock
Room Coverage: 677 Sq Ft
Warranty and Support: The Philips Air Purifier comes with 2 years of manufacturer’s warranty on the product. For any issues or support, you can contact the brand customer care @ 18001022929
- Maximum room coverage
- Versatile function
- Can function on HEPA and Carbon filter
- Automatic night sense mode is a great way to go on with your work and sleep
- Mode switching not seamless
- Not great at removing odors
Next on our list is the Hindware Moonbow AP-A8400UIN, a 55-watt air purifier with very economic pricing.
The Moonbow takes up the fifth position on our list because of its economic pricing and high coverage for its range, 5 layer air purification and also due to an aesthetically pleasing design
- Has a HEPA filter purification method up to 0.3 microns
- Also contains an internal activated carbon filter
- Filtration method goes as follows
Pre filter> HEPA filter> Activated Carbon filter> UV filter> refreshing energizers
- Has a Clear Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 215 m3 / hour
- Aesthetically pleasing design
- Easy to wash pre-filter
Room Coverage: 400 Sq Ft
Warranty and Support:
Hindware provides you with 1-Year manufacturer’s warranty on the product for any making defects.
- Very economic
- Great value for money
- 1 Year warranty
- 55 watts of economic energy consumption
- Not so great in odour removal
Similar to the Hindware in many areas, the Tefal Intense beats it in terms of price and wattage.
Yes, the reason why the Tefal Intense Air Purifier makes it to the 6th place on our list is due to it being the most affordable air purifier with such a low energy consumption and 2 years on the warranty
- HEPA type primary air filter
- Comes with the patented NanoCaptur filter
- Has an internal activated carbon filter
- The 4-level filtration removes up to 99.97% pollutants
- Includes an auto shut off timer
- 4 different speed testings and a display panel
- 30 watts of economic power consumption
Room and Coverage: 377 sq ft
Warranty and Support:
Tefal provides a generous 2 years of manufacturer’s warranty on the product. For any further information, you can contact their tollfree number 1800-200-1232
- French technology that is highly reliable
- Homogenous filtration of the air ensures uniform air dispersion and thus breeze out the room
- Very easy to maintain
- Economic and easily affordable
- Generous 2 years on the warranty
- None very specific to mention
Last but not least, we have the Daikin MC30 Room Air Purifier. Daikin is a Japanese company that has been a household name when it comes to affordable consumer electronics such as AC, heaters, controllers etc.,
Placed at 7th on our list, the Dakin MC30 is a perfect fit for any room and delivers great performance on its promises
- Comes with a primary electrostatic HEPA filter
- Has a PM 2.5 sensor lamp that alerts you when the room contains any such particles with the live pollution tracker and 3 colored LED indicator
- Has 3 different modes of operation; auto, pollen and turbo mode
- An additional Eco mode switches on when there is no pollution in the room and thus saves energy
- The pollen mode removes and controls the pollen levels in your room
- Turbo mode can remove about 99.7% of allergens up to the size of 2.5 micrometers
Room Capacity Size: 231 Sq Ft
Warranty and Support: Daikin provides a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty on the product. For any further information, you can contact their toll-free customer care number 18601803900
- Delightful performance
- Different modes for better operation
- The daikin trust
- None specific to mention
To choose an air purifier, you need to consider several factors like room size, power consumption, noise levels and finally the cost. We have tested on many and checked the performance by switching to low-high speed variations.
Given below are the factors responsible for the better performance of air purifier. Check them in detail.
1. Types of filters used in air purifiers
Different air purifiers types target different pollutants, so it is important to identify the pollutants that you want to eliminate from the room and enjoy the fresh air. For your convenience, we have provided different types of filters used in purifiers. Let’s have a glance at the Top 5 air filters for home that are very popular now. (2)
a. HEPA Filter (High Efficiency Particulate Air)
This type of filtration process is considered the highest level of purification process. The US HEPA standard was developed long ago by the Atomic Energy Commission. Their goal was to capture the radioactive dust particles.
There is a variation of it, name the True HEPA Filter, they are known to remove more than 99.97% of all the microscopic particles, even if they are as small as 0.3 microns. So, these types of filters can allow only the very small particles to pass by thereby, allergens like pollen or pet dander or mold spores or even dust particles will be eliminated.
You will find several filters in the market that carries the name HEPA but not all of them are equipped for such delicate work. You need to look for the certification or the label that says “True HEPA Filter”.
There are also other filters in the market that uses the terms like “HEPA-type” or “HEPA-like”, you should know that these filters are not true HEPA. These are inferior filters capable of blocking particles sized 2-5 microns.
This is probably the main reason why one HEPA filter is more expensive than the other. So, when you are getting a HEPA filter you need to look for the HEPA label specifically. Sadly, all the HEPA filter are not created equally. Here the size matters, the more square footage in a HEPA filter the more number of particles it will be able to remove. The size, material and even the manufacture all varies and plays a key role into it performance.
Pollutants removed – pollens, mold, dust, pet dander, hair, and even smoke.
- Top certified filters
- Trap all type of particles of very small size and does not let them release into the air
- It is suitable for different respiratory issues
- Requires regular maintenance and replacement for maximum effectiveness
- Most expensive filtration system
- Incapable of removing odours and chemical fumes
- It employs a fan in order to suck in the air at the highest rate which can be very noisy
b. Carbon filter
Another variation of air filters is called the Activated Carbon Filters. These sort of filters are not really used alone to purify the air, it is a very rare occurrence. Usually, they are accompanied by other filters. These activated carbon filters excels at eliminating or absorbing irritating odours. They are also capable of neutralizing smoke, chemicals, and fumes.
The activated carbon filters use a very specific form of carbon containing millions of very tiny pores, these pores are very absorbent. As it consists of so many pores, the surface area is exceptionally large which inherently traps all the fumes, gases and odours.
You may not know this but if you simply treat carbon with oxygen, millions of pores will be opened on it. These are very small microscopic pores which make the surface area of the carbon very large. Thus a single pound of activated carbon has a surface area of 60 to 150 acres.
As it has such large surface area, it is best suited for absorbing gases and odours. That generous surface area is just perfect for bonding with molecules of chemical or vapor. When the carbon filter is larger, then the amount of chemicals absorbed by it will be higher and it will also be able to work for an extended period of time. After it is full, it will no longer be able to absorb chemicals and then you have to replace it.
Unfortunately, this activated carbon filter can’t be used to trap particles which are causing you allergies or asthma or any irritation in general. But it can get rid of smells, effectively. Basically, if you use these filters your room will smell fresh and clean. And this is the main reason, why activated carbon filters aren’t used alone; they are accompanied by another filter.
Pollutants removed – chemical and gas fumes, odours, smells originating from pets, cooking, smoke and smell of paint and the smell from cleaning products
- Helps to keep a room fresh
- Compared to other filters it is cheaper
- Effective for people living in industrial areas
- Only useful for removing gaseous fumes, smells and odours from the room, there are no other applications
c. Ionic filter
This is a completely different type of filtration system. This type of filter emits a charged cloud of in the air, the ions present inside the cloud get attached to the impurities present in the air and it forces them to cling to the nearby surface.
One of the main disadvantages of this sort of filters is the dirty spot. If you keep the ion generator close to a wall or on the floor, it will create spots covered with dirt.
A few ionic air purifiers are equipped with an electrostatic collection plate. This plate attracts the fallen particles in order to remove them from the room. As it does not eliminate the impurities, it forces them to get attached to a surface. But this process is also capable of eliminating ultra-fine particles sizes as small as 0.01 microns.
Pollutants Removed – dust, pollen, mold spores, volatile organic compounds, fungi, different bacteria’s and viruses, also visible smoke.
- This filter is practically maintenance free; you don’t need to replace it.
- It is lot cheaper
- Noise free.
- Pollutants stays in the room cling to the surfaces. Unless you have an electrostatic plate or a collection plate you can’t remove them.
- Needs cleaning very frequently
- It is not capable of eliminating odours
- Produce small amount of ozone as the by-product which is not really good for health
d. Ultra Violet or UV Light Filter
This is unlike any other filtration system we have mentioned before. There is actually a UV lamp inside the purifier. It emits an invisible light that contains UV light. This light attacks the pollutants as they are passing through the filter.
The bulb is of 20 watt and it emits UV that kills pathogens, germs, and microbes. It is also certified by California Air Resource Board, making the process ozone free.
The UV light is contained inside the air purifier; it is not released into the room. This an air purifier technology that uses the UV-C band of the Ultra Violet Spectrum. You may not know this but this particular band of UV is perfectly safe for us there aren’t any side effects.
This sort of setup, like air purifiers equipped with UV filters is generally used inside the hospitals, in order to keep the environment sterile. They can also be used in the kitchens, laboratories or even at the day-care centers. If you have the tendency to get sick very often then you need this air purifier equipped with a germicidal filter or UV lamp may. It will boost your immunity.
The main work of the UV ray is to completely destroy the bacteria and viruses at the molecular level. What you are getting is a pretty good sterile environment with clean air.
Pollutants removed – all sort of micro-organisms as bacteria, viruses, germs.
- These filters are capable of lasting for thousands of hours and rarely requires replacement
- Creates a sterile environment, cuts down the number of germs inside your room
Disadvantages of Ultra Violet Light Filters
- It is capable of only killing the viruses, bacteria and germs. So, this filter can’t be bought as a standalone device.
- Mostly comes as an attachment with a HEPA or an Ionic air purifier
e. Ozone filter
This is a completely different type of air purification system and it is not good for health. This type of purifier manufacturers Ozone gas intentionally. Although, there are article and statements which are made to make you believe that these devices are safe for public use but they are not, actually.
Several health professionals have spoken against such claims and they have stated that there are no such agencies authorized by the federal government to manufacture such devices. If you get exposed to ozone, it may aggravate your asthma symptoms and if you consume it in high levels then it is sufficient enough to create scars your lungs.
Sadly, there are still different brands Ozone air purifiers available in the market and the amount of Ozone produced by them obviously varies but you also have to know that there are several chemicals we use every day that reacts to ozone. Several studies have shown that the ozone air purifiers help in the growth of a few specific biological agents. It is also impossible for it to clean the in such low concentrations.
Stay away from Ozone Purifiers
This air purification is extremely dangerous. It can cause lung tissue damage, not safe to use in the closed confinements of a room. These purifiers are also restricted in the State of California. So, just remember these points, next time you go to purchase an air purifier.
2. Choosing the right Size Air Purifier
Another important thong to consider is the size of the purifier which is most of the times neglected by the consumers. But you need to know which purifier is the best for your home and for your health.
First, you need to check the square footage rating on the packaging, and then you need to compare it to the size room where it will be placed.
If the square footage rating of the purifier is equal or greater than the size of the room then it was definitely an excellent choice by you.
But, here’s the proper way to measure it;
You will need the measurement like the width and length of the room in feet and if you multiply them, you will achieve the total square footage.
So, the calculation is; 10 ′ x 20 ′ room = 200 sq. ft.
If you have multiple connected rooms, such as a living and dining room and a kitchen, then you have to make additional calculations. You just have to add up the total area in square foot.
So, the calculation is; 10 ′ x 20 ′ living room = 200 sq. ft., 10 ′ x 10 ′ dining room = 100 sq. ft., and finally, 15 ′ x 20 ′ kitchen = 300 sq. ft. The together you will get (200 + 100 + 300) equals 600 sq. ft.
So, after completing the calculation you need to know the minimum sq. ft rating of the purifier in order to learn its efficiency.
3. ACH and CADR ratings
Well, you are trying to purchase an air purifier so you will most definitely come across two of the very common and specific ratings;
Air Changes Per Hour or ACH
The ACH rating is most of the times it is ignored by the customers as they are unable to understand it. Unfortunately, this particular rating tells the customers the efficiency of the air purifiers.
The ACH rating stand for the rate of exchanged air in the room by the purifier every hour. The rating includes 4X, 5X or 6X denominations. 5X means that the polluted air in that particular space gets trapped and then recycled within 5 hour interval. The higher the number, greater the efficiency of the purifier!
You also need to know that this rating is directly linked to the max sq. ft the purifier can handle. So, if the purifier has a 5X rating and specified that it can cover 300 sq. ft. specified efficiency.
CADR abbreviated as Clean Air Delivery Rate. It is actually a performance indicator to determine the efficiency of an air purifier. Most people often get confused with the terminologies like airflow rate, filters, and CADR air purifiers. Here is what exactly the CADR rate is all about.
What is CADR?
CADR rate defines the maximum amount of clean air offered by an air purifier. In other words, it can be expressed as how well the purifier can reduce the allergens, pollutants, and chemicals in a room. Higher the contaminants, faster it purifies the air.
The tests of CADR are being carried out by AHAM-Association of Home Appliances Manufacturers to analyze the performance of a purifier with respect to dust, pollen, and tobacco. Initially, the purifier is kept in a small / medium sized room and CADR rate, the percentage of impurities are determined in just a time gap of 10-20 minutes.
Given below table completely explains the CADR ratings of different impurities present in a room.
|Impurities||CADR Rating (Microns)|
|Pollen||5 – 11|
|Dust||0.5 – 3|
|Tobacco smoke||0.10 – 1|
To be more specific, higher CADR air purifier filters very quickly than the lower ones. In case, if both the purifiers have the same CADR-rating then purifying performance will be the same.
4. Portable, Whole house or Commercial Use?
There are several varieties of air purifiers found in the market. Some of them clean air by removing dust particles, molds and other allergens. So, we have compiles a list of our own different types of air purifiers.
- Portable air purifiers
These are also called room air purifiers. It does not need any heating or a cooling system. Best suited for bedrooms and they are also very cheap but their efficiency is amazing.
- Whole-house air purifiers
You can also go with the whole-house purifiers. These purifiers are usually gets attached to a heating or a cooling system. They are capable of clearing big rooms and clearing allergy-related issues.
- Commercial air purifiers
These purifiers are capable of removing a large number of contaminants from the air compared to standard air purifiers. So, if you are using a commercial purifier you must have to use it in a big room or for a long hallway.
Such systems come with PCO and HEPA filter for protection against any type of harmful bacteria, chemicals and viruses.
5. Air Purifier Features You Need to Look
Here, we are going to tell you what you should look for while purchasing an air purifier. If you compare two or more machines together you will find that there is a wide variety if you include the additional features and customized upgrades.
So, some of these features will cause some extra buck and learning all these things will definitely help you to purchase the best product suitable for your needs.
Here are the features you need to look for in an air purifier;
These types of filters are capable of trapping the largest particles in the air. So, if this one is attached as an additional filter to your purifier, it will increase the lifecycle of the inner filter significantly. The Pre-filters are also very cheap and they are washable.
- Digital Controls
The digital control will allow you to control and manipulate the settings of the purifier more precisely.
- Adjustable Fan Speeds
Most purifiers come with a fan speed settings of 2 to5. The highest and the lowest range exist somewhere between them. Some purifiers are also equipped with turbo speed to accelerate the cleaning process.
- Filter Replacement Indicators
Some filters are equipped with indicator that informs you when it is the right time to replace the filters. It simply means the filters are filled with pollutants; you need to change or wash them in order to make them work perfectly.
- Programmable Timer
The automatic turn off feature is available with almost every purifiers, these days. It simply helps to same electricity.
- Carrying Handle
The carrying handles make the transportation of the purifier very efficient. It is a very heavy device so the addition of a handle is preferable.
Works more like the handles, the casters are a set of wheels mounted below the purifier making it easier to move.
- Antimicrobial Treatment
This is a type of coating found on purifiers. It helps in preventing the spread of bacteria and microorganisms on internal filters, resulting in an increase in the lifespan of the filter.
- Air Quality Sensors
This sort of sensors are capable of monitoring the air, they look for specific pollutants and then adjusts the in order to remove those particles immediately.
- PlasmaWave Technology
An alternate method of ionizing the air! So, that it does not emit negative ions or worse produce ozone. This technology uses water vapor to achieve the same results.
- Photocatalytic Oxidation (PCO)
A very advanced filtering process equips the filters with UV Light in order to completely destroy the chemicals or other volatile organic compounds; even bacteria, mold and fungi.
This light helps to locate the purifier inside a dark room.
- Remote Control
If you have this, then you will be able to operate the purifier from a significant distance.
- Mobile App
This is the age of the app. They are almost everywhere, capable of doing anything. So, the addition of app will provide you with full access of the purifier via your cell phone.
6. Other Considerable Points
This is the final stage of making the decision, which air purifier to get for your home. But there are some additional points to consider before you get to do that.
- Cost of the Air Purifier
The cost is the main factor to be considered before buying an air purifier. It gives a clear idea of what and how effectively you are going to use the purifier.
If you are on a very tight budget, and still wish to have the best home air purifier in India, then go with the basic models like Mi Air purifier 2S bundle with Echo Dot that comes at very low prices. Though it may not offer all the smart features, its main function is to remove the harmful chemicals in the air that causes great damage to human health.
The above-mentioned basic model may not solve all the purifying issues. So there is an urge of air purifiers that come with advanced features like smart navigation, and timer settings. Here in this article, we have mentioned some of the top-class purifiers like Coway,Honeywell,and Philips models that best match the consumer requirements.
- Cost of Maintenance
If you simply maintain the purifier properly then they will work most efficiently. So, before getting the purifier to make sure you know how much it will cost to keep it running smoothly.
The purifiers that are equipped with HEPA or Carbon filters need replacing frequently. These filters trap the particles so eventually they get clogged up when they can’t clean the air anymore.
The HEPA or Carbon last about a year before they need replacing. So, find out the replacement cost. If you get the ionic air purifier you don’t have to worry about the maintenance. These machines are equipped with a type of electrostatic collection filter to collect pollutant particles from the air, but these filters are washable and reusable.
- The Noise Level
If you get an air purifier equipped with a HEPA or a Carbon filter then you will see that those purifiers come with a fan. This fan sucks the air into the filter and then forces the clean air back into the room. Sometimes, it may feel like that these fans are making too much noise.
But if you reduce the fan speed then the noise level will also be reduced.
Generally, purifiers have only two speeds; high and low but there are few that are equipped with close to 5 types of speed like low, medium, high, turbo and automatic.
So, the noise level is a very important factor. If you are going to be using it in the bedroom, a high level of noise will make the air clean but it will not let you sleep well.
So, go for a purifier that is properly sized for your preferred room. If it is too small then it will work too hard and the noise will be higher. As it will be operating at its highest setting!
But the ionic purifiers do not use filters and it also means that they don’t use fans. So, these types of filters are the best choice if you are looking for a low noise purifier.
- Consumption of Energy
Similar to other appliances in your home air purifiers will be plugged to your wall and will be running on electricity. As they require to run 24/7 for maximum efficiency, you need to consider the amount of energy it will require. Generally, the purifiers use 50-200 watts of power. But we would recommend getting a device with the Energy Star rating. It ensures that power consumption will be low.
There are several manufacturers all over the world know for designing air purifiers for homes. Sadly, not all of them provide high-quality machinery. So, if you are getting a purifier, it is important to know the manufacturer. Just select a manufacturer with good background and reputation.
Another thing you need to look for before purchasing the purifier is the warranty. It will help you to avoid any issues in the long run. Just learn what are covered and for how much time, if they turn out to be defective.
You need to remember that the air purifiers are a long term investment; it is not something that you can purchase every other month. And obviously no one wants a product that faulty but still this is an electronic product, you don’t know what’s going to happen until it happens. So, a valid warranty is important to protect the repair or the replacement costs in case it turns out faulty.
Tips to Handle Air Purifiers
Choosing the right air purifier doesn’t matter. What matters the most is the purifier that you purchased should be used properly. To make the device worth it, here are some of the useful tips so that you can set up, install and use proficiently.
- Initially, choose the best air cleaner for home use to fix in the right location.
- Before you mount it on walls or wooden blocks, make sure the clean airflow is directed in the right direction.
- For better performance of the purifier, keep windows and doors locked.
- It is also important to change the filters regularly.
- Now-a-days, washable filters are available in the market, so you can directly replace regular ones with them.
- Avoid placing the purifiers in extreme hot or cold room climatic conditions as the extreme conditions can block the airflow.
- If you are a pet lover and have them in your home, then stop pets entering the room to lessen the allergens.
If you follow the above-mentioned tips, then you have fewer chances of affecting to diseases or other health risks.
Best Air Purifier Brands Comparison:
As we know that air purifier is useful in deterring the toxins present in the indoor air. We mostly prefer to buy the popular brand air purifiers in India like Honeywell, Philips, Atlanta, Avizo, Ooze, Sharp purifiers etc.
Of all, Honeywell and Philips air purifiers rank top due to amazing features that help to improve the indoor air quality. But still, it’s tough to decide the best among both purifiers as they offer equal performance in cleaning the bad air.
The Honeywell air purifier has washable filters along with smart features like child lock, fan speed, sleep mode, indicators to completely eliminate the PM 2.5, dust particles and allergens. Whereas Philips air purifier is a budget-friendly device that uses Nano-protect filters+ sensing technology, to first sense the contaminants present in the room and then starts purifying the air.
What are the Most Common Source of Household Air Pollutants?
You have to remember that different purifiers are designed to tackle different type of pollutants. So, it is imminent to identify the type of pollutants that is currently polluting your air, before you finally purchase an air purifier.
- Allergens- in the list of airborne particles you will find pollutants like pet dander, mold spores, dust mite allergen, plant spores, fungi and pollen. These are identified as the most common source of allergy and asthma attacks in every household.
- Smokes-the smoke of tobacco or weed can be very irritating for non-smokers and it is one of the most common causes of indoor air pollution.
- Odors- the odors inside the house are a big problem. It includes the smell of gasses, kitty litter, various toxins, and gaseous pollutants like indoor pesticides, aerosols, and chemical cleaners. Such type of pollutants is very common and hard to eliminate.
- The VOCs- VOCs or Volatile Organic Compounds are available in most of common household products such as; paints, varnishes, cleaning supplies, disinfectants, glues and adhesives, and even new carpets and building supplies are not excluded. You need to find components like benzene, chloride, formaldehyde, ethylene, and toluene. The Volatile Organic Compounds can cause several symptoms like the irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, headaches, nausea, and even severe chronic health conditions such as damage to the nervous system. It can also aggravate asthma.
- The micro-organisms- such category includes antigens, pathogens, bacteria, and obviously viruses. These are the most common germs that make us sick. These also include mold, fungi and protozoa other microscopic plant bodies causing several health issues.
All these pollutants are considered dangerous. They can damage your health, and it does not matter if you have a very specific type of allergy, they will cause damage and even aggravate your respiratory issues. The only difference is that the people who are directly affected by these elements are able to notice the effects almost immediately but those who are not allergic to such contaminants won’t be able to notice the changes immediately, resulting in serious health damage in the long run.
Different types of pollutants
According to the reports given by the WHO-World Health Organisation(5), says that pollutants released at indoors are more likely to attack the people’s health by 10 times than outdoors.
Indoor air pollution is due to the 4 major factors like combustion, building materials, bioaerosols and the ground under the building. Besides these factors, there are major contaminants that not only spoils the indoor environments but also the person’s health is given below.
An Airborne particle is a particulate matter that contains pet dander, spores, dust allergens, pollen, fungi, bacteria, and viruses. All of these are responsible for causing severe health problems like allergies, asthma and other breathing problems.
Tobacco smoke is the practice of smoking tobacco and inhaling the smoke. It is the traditional air pollutant and is the major cause of cancer.
Household odors include harmful gases, toxins and pollutants like aerosols, pesticides, and aerosols. It is very common in every house and is seen in more quantities. Activated carbon filter is the best choice for absorbing the gases and odors than being trapped by HEPA filter.
VOC- Volatile Organic Compounds are the chemicals that have a high vapour pressure at room temperature. These sort of compounds are mostly seen in domestic products like paints, disinfectants, glues, adhesives and cleaning supplies.
They spread micro-organisms like bacteria, viruses, mold, and pathogens that are responsible for causing eye irritation, headaches, nausea and may even damage the nervous system.
A table given below illustrates the type of impurity and average particle size which is expressed in microns. A micron is stated as (1/25000) of an inch. As the harmful toxins are expressed in microns, here is a list.
|E missions from car||1-150|
Frequently Asked Questions
Not all air purifiers are good enough for your health. Some air cleaning purifiers that produce ozone gas can be harmful to people who have asthma or other respiratory problems. The ozone gases produced by air purifiers can cause respiratory tract irritation and breathing difficulty.
Nope. Air purifiers don’t dehumidify the air present in the room. An air purifier circulates air through a filter that traps the impurities and pollutants. A humidifier sucks in the moisture and reduces the humidity levels in the air and kills the mold that thrives in moisture.
Apart from just allergen removal, air purifiers can help you sleep in several ways. Air purifiers can remove dust particles and other impurities that cause congestion which leads to improper sleep. Its soothing sound drowns out the outside noises that wake you up.
If you are allergies, air purifiers can be helpful in improving your condition. But it doesn’t mean that they can completely cure the allergy. It removes the dust, pollen, and other allergens from the circulating air in the room which helps to breathe fresh air. But it doesn’t remove the allergens that are residing on the furniture or mattress.
Usually, mold spore ranges from 1 to 5 microns in size. The HEPA filters are proven to be effective in removing airborne mold spores. So, air purifiers effectively eliminate mold. Ensure that your air purifier contains a HEPA filter by looking at the package.
Some air purifiers like Gliese Magic Room Air Purifier in India have activated carbon filter which helps to remove odor and certain gases that are not pleasant to health.
If your home is filled with harmful pollutants like bacteria, viruses, molds, and dust then there are more chances of affecting severe health problems like asthma or other respiratory diseases.
So the only solution is to make use of air purifiers that not only reduce the hospital bills but also cleans the air by triggering harmful contaminants.
The basic thing you need to look for an air purifier is the type of impurities it can remove. As the purification system is the key factor to operate, you must also consider room size, maintenance costs, and replacement filters.
Furthermore, you must also look for a warranty, money back scheme, size, design style, and color options. As per your needs, you can opt for the one that you would like to have a home purifier.
Usually, purifiers are designed to fit in small, medium and large spaced rooms or halls. It is mainly categorized based on CADR and ACH rates. Both of them have a crucial role in designing the purifier and accounts to the stability and performance of the device.
When you switch On the purifier, it can cover a distance of 150-400 Sq.ft depending on the filter type and model. If you purchase the latest model purifier, you can make your house clean and tidy as it features high airflow rate.
On an average, the modern purifiers can completely purify the air in just 4-8 hours. For better outcomes, it should continuously be used throughout the day and night. You might be afraid of current-unit charges and the horrible noise.
To help you out, most air purifiers come with multiple cleaning modes like auto, timer, sleep, clean and also consumes very less power for maintaining indoor air quality, even when you are away from home.
By design and functionality, air purifiers don’t produce cool air. Usually, it feels a little cool because of the fan pushing it. Air purifiers don’t have a cooling unit inside them like air conditioners.