Around the clock use of computers puts excessive pressure on the processor and it reacts by generation a lot of heat. Continuous overheating of the processor reduces its lifespan and causes severe damage to its components.
This is where the role of a CPU cooler comes in. A CPU cooler is an economical device that ventilates the heat generated by the processor and protects it from overheating.
A CPU cooler consists of a heat sink (fin-like structure) made of aluminium or copper. It works by drawing away heat from the processor and transferring cooler air towards the structure. It also features a fan that helps to pull out hot air and push in cooler air more efficiently.
But when it comes to choosing a CPU cooler for your computer, it is a difficult task because CPU coolers come in a wide range of capacity, sizes, speeds, etc. and you need to consider these factors and ensure that the cooler you buy is compatible with your CPU.
CPU Cooler Buying Guide
1. Types (Air Cooling/Liquid Cooling)
Most CPUs come with a stock air cooling system that pulls away warm air from the CPU and supplies cool air to it. But there are aftermarket coolers that help to improve heat dissipation even further. Aftermarket CPU coolers use either air cooling or liquid cooling mechanism to cool the CPU.
- Air Cooling – After market CPU air coolers along include a heat sink made of aluminium or copper along with a cooling fan. The heat sink takes up heat from the components of the CPU and the fan supplies cool air to it.
- Liquid Cooling – Liquid CPU coolers make use of water as a coolant in order to cool the CPU. Water helps to transfer the heat from the CPU efficiently and allows quiet functioning of the PC. With liquid cooling the fan doesn’t need to run at high RPM all the time.
The size of the cooler you choose depends on the amount of heat generated by your CPU. CPU coolers are available in small, medium and large sizes but you need to know how many watts of heat your CPU generates so that you can choose the cooler accordingly. While a small to medium sizes cooler is good enough for an Intel Core 2 Duo processor because it generates only 65W of heat, a large cooler is recommended for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ that generates 125w of heat.
3. Heat Sink
Heat sinks are usually made of aluminium but some high end models come with copper heat sink. The bigger the heat sink of the cooler, the more efficient it is.
4. Fan Speed (3-pin fan or 4-pin (PWM) fan)
Majority of motherboards these days come with 4-pin CPU fan header which allows the user to set the temperature/speed ratio of the CPU cooler in the BIOS. But many users still prefer 3-pin fans because they offer better control over the fan speed. Although the fan spins at a constant speed but it can be changed using a fan controller.
5. Socket Type and Layout of Motherboard
This is an important factor you should consider. Most modern Motherboards fall in one of the three kinds – 775, 1155 and AM2. It is essential to choose a cooler that is compatible with the particular socket type of your motherboard. Other than the socket type, the layout of the motherboard also determines the fit of the cooler.
Best CPU Coolers in India
|CPU Coolers||Cooling Type||Heat Pipe Material||No. Of Fans||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Cooler Master Hyper 212X||Air Cooling||Copper||1||2 years||Check the Price|
|Cooler Master Hyper 103 Essential||Air Cooling||Copper||1||2 years||Check the Price|
|Corsair Hydro Series CWCH100i||Liquid Cooling||2||5 years||Check the Price|
|Deepcool GAMMAXX 400||Air Cooling||Copper||1||--||Check the Price|
|Hydro Series™ H100||Liquid Cooling||2||--||Check the Price|
|Arctic Freezer A32||Air Cooling||Copper||1||6 years||Check the Price|
|Circle 120MM||Air Cooling||2||--||Check the Price|
|Cooler Master V8 GTS||Air Cooling||Copper||1||2 years limited warranty||Check the Price|
|Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO||Air Cooling||Copper||1||1 year limited warranty||Check the Price|
|Antec A30 CPU Radiator||Air Cooling||Copper||1||--||Check the Price|
1. Cooler Master Hyper 212X – Premium Air CPU cooler
This is a high quality after market CPU cooler that is compatible with all Intel / AMD Processors.
This CPU cooler features high quality copper heat pipes that absorb heat more efficiently.
Advanced CDCTM technology used in this device features 4 direct touch heat pipes that create a gap-less contact surface for better heat transfer.
Aluminium fin array creates a tunnel effect layout that improves heat dissipation.
This cooler features 4th generation MTB beating and supports all current CPU sockets.
It comes with 2 years warranty from the manufacturer.
- High performance Copper heat pipes
- 4 direct touch heat pipes for gap-less contact surface
- Aluminium fin array
- 4th generation bearing
- Compatible with all Intel / AMD Processors
- Large size of fan makes it difficult to fit regular sized cabinet
2. Cooler Master Hyper 103 Essential CPU Air cooler
This is a high end CPU cooler from Cooler Master that is compactable with all Intel and AMD processors and features a Blue LED fan.
It comes with 3 direct contact heat pipes long with aluminium fins that allow excellent heat dissipation.
Funnel shaped aluminium fins and patented Air-Guide technology guides the airflow towards the heat pipes.
The fan has speed ranging from 800 to 2200 RPM which allows efficient cooling even at a slow speed.
It features sleeve bearing that extends its life and makes it durable.
The fan comes with 4-pin connector which is compatible with most modern models.
This CPU cooler comes with 2 years warranty from the manufacturer.
- 3 direct contact heat pipes
- Funnel shaped aluminium fins
- 800 to 2200 RPM Fan speed
- Sleeve bearing
- Not suitable for high-end gaming PC
3. Corsair Hydro Series CWCH100i CPU Cooler
This is a high performance liquid cooler from Corsair that ensures efficient cooling of specific components.
This CPU cooler is compatible with Intel and AMD processors.
This CPU cooler comes with a Self-contained Cooling System that is pre-filled, so the user doesn’t have to refill it.
This cooler features 240mm top-mounted radiator that gives a powerful cooling performance.
It has two 120 mm fans with wide, low pitch blades that allow consistent cooling.
The coolant temperature and cooling performance can be monitored directly from your desktop.
Magnetic mountable brackets makes it easy to install.
5 years manufacturer warranty if purchased from Genuine Products Store.
- Self-contained Cooling System
- Efficient cooling performance
- Compatible with Intel and AMD processors
- 240mm top-mounted radiator
- Two 120mm fans
- Fans are a bit noisy
4. Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Tower Type CPU Cooler (PC)
This is a universal CPU cooler that is compatible with almost all Intel and AMD sockets.
It features 4 sintered powder heat pipes that ensures efficient heat transfer from the processor and prevents overheating.
It is also equipped with 120x120x25mm PWM fan with 1500-900RPM rotations that ensures efficient heat dissipation even at slow speeds.
This cooler also features an extra fan clip that allows the user to set up a push-pull configuration with a second fan.
The blue LED lights present in the cooler add more functionality to it and give at an attractive look.
- Compatible with Intel and AMD sockets
- 4 sintered powder heat pipes
- 120x120x25mm PWM fan with 1500-900RPM rotations
- Extra fan clip
- Blue LED lights
- Flimsy build quality of fins
5. Hydro Series™ H100i GTX Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
This is yet another high performance liquid CPU cooler from Corsair that is compatible with most Intel and AMD sockets.
It is equipped with a 240mm radiator and dual SP120L PWM fans that provide excellent heat dissipation even for highly overclocked CPUs.
The custom-designed SP120L fans deliver high static pressure and can be mounted right against the radiators.
The fan blades are specially shaped for maximum air delivery while producing minimal noise.
The built-in Corsair link allows the user to monitor, control and customise the cooling performance from the desktop.
- Powerful 240mm radiator
- Dual SP120L PWM fans
- Compatible with most Intel and AMD sockets
- Built-in Corsair link for easy monitoring, control and customization of cooling performance
- Fans are noisy at full throttle mode
6. Arctic Freezer A32 CPU Cooler with 120mm Fan
This is a decent quality CPU cooler from Arctic that features a powerful 120mm fan for efficient cooling.
This CPU cooler is compatible with most Intel and AMD sockets.
It is equipped with high quality copper sink for efficient heat dissipation.
The lower footprint of the Freezer A32 avoids interference with the RAM even when it is connected with 2 fans.
The fan is capable of working at low speed when cooling is not needed.
New alloy/lubricant combination used in this cooler reduces friction with the bearing and improves efficiency and extends the life of the cooler.
This cooler comes with 6-years manufacturer warranty.
- Prolonged warranty from manufacturer
- New alloy/lubricant combination reduces friction within bearing
- Fan is capable of working at low speed
- Low footprint of the cooler avoids interference with the RAM
- Flimsy build quality
7. Circle 120MM 7 Colours Self Changing LED Silent Cabinet Cooling FAN
This is a basic cooling fan that can be installed in your CPU cabinet to reduce the temperature of the overall unit.
It comes with 4-pin and 3-pin connector which makes it versatile and compatible.
The fan features Hydraulic Sleeve type bearing which extends its life and makes it durable.
Air flow of the fan is 59.6CFM and air pressure is 2.67mm.
It features 15 LED lights with 7 self changing colors which gives it a rainbow effect.
- Silent operation
- 4-pin and 3-pin connector
- Hydraulic Sleeve type bearing
- 15 LED lights with 7 self changing colors
- Decent cooling
- No heat sink
8. Cooler Master V8 GTS – High Performance CPU Cooler
This is a high-end CPU cooler from Cooler Master that features 8 heat pipes for efficient cooling.
This is a universal cooler that fits into almost any CPU.
The cooler is easy to set up and install.
The special horizontal design of the vapor chamber allows faster and more efficient heat dissipation.
It features bright red LED lights that render an attractive look to your CPU.
This cooler comes with 2 Years limited warranty.
- High Performance CPU Cooler
- Horizontal Vapor Chamber
- 8 heat pipes
- Universal design
- Easy to install
- Oversized for standard cabinets
9. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Intel CPU Cooler
This is a standard quality CPU cooler from Cooler Master available at a reasonable price.
These cooler features 4 Direct Contact Copper Heat pipes and a Wide-range PWM fan that ensure efficient cooling and air flow.
This CPU cooler is compatible with most Intel and AMD platforms.
This cooler comes with 1 Year limited warranty.
- Reasonably priced
- 4 Direct Contact Copper Heat pipes
- Wide-range PWM fan
- Compatible with most Intel and AMD platforms
10. Antec A30 CPU Radiator
This is an entry level CPU cooler that features a decent quality cooling fan, copper heat pipes and thermal paste for efficient cooling.
This CPU cooler is compatible with both Intel and AMD sockets.
This cooler is equipped with a 9CM high quality Rifle bearing LED fan which provides amazing air flow and has a long life.
The fan has an almost silent operation so it does not interfere with your work or games.
- Quality copper heat pipes
- Compatible with Intel and AMD sockets
- Rifle bearing LED fan for extended life
- Silent operation
- Low fan speed
The Cooler Master Hyper 212X CPU cooler is our top pick from the list of best CPU coolers in India because of its great cooling performance, amazing compatibility and high quality. This cooler is compatible with almost all Intel / AMD Processors. It is equipped with 4 direct touch copper heat pipes, aluminium fin array and a cooling fan that ensures efficient heat dissipation and optimum air flow. It comes with 2 years warranty from the manufacturer.