So you have already purchased your projector and are looking for a projector screen to complete your home theater set up? Well, selecting a quality projector screen is as important as buying a top-of-the-line projector, because much of the picture quality will depend on the surface on which the images are projected.
There are a number of factors that come into play while choosing a projector screen such as gain, color accuracy, viewing angle, and texture. There is a wide range of projector screens available in the market that come in different style, shape, size and screen material.
So, if you are looking to project high definition images and content with your projector, there are a number of factors that you have to take into consideration.
Things to Look for While Buying a Projector Screen
1. Technical Specifications
Gain – Gain is the measure of how much light is reflected by the screen. A screen can have either low or high gain. A screen with low gain will produce deeper and darker blacks by lower the overall brightness of the images. Screens made using special materials may have higher gain and they reflect more light back compared to screens with lower gain, but they reduce viewing angles.
Color Accuracy – It measures how well the screen reflects the colors projected onto its surface from a projector. The composition of the screen may lead to absorption of certain colors. It may also render a tint to the image coming from the projector. It is best to choose a screen that causes minimal color shifting.
Viewing Angle – Viewing angle of a screen determines how wide the viewers can sit from the center of the screen without any drops in the light. Gain affects the viewing angle of a screen. A screen with a gain of 1.0 has an almost 180 degrees viewing angle. Screens with higher gains have smaller viewing angles because the reflected light from the screen is more focused on the middle of the room.
Texture – The texture of the screen also determines the details and clarity of the image. If the texture of a screen is noticeable for normal seating distance then it will affect the image quality. Therefore, it is recommended to opt for a fine screen material to produce smooth images.
2. Physical Characteristics
Style – The first and foremost step is to select a projector screen that will serve your particular needs or applications. There are various screen types that differ in mounting style and methods of screen retraction. Permanency of the screen is also an important factor.
- Electric projector screens – They have a professional look and are suitable for official presentations and home theatres. These screens are operated via remote control and they have a sleek design which makes it easy to store. Electric projector screen can be mounted on the wall, ceiling and into the floor.
- Manual Projector Screens – These are much less expensive than electric projector screens. These screens can be manually pulled up and down using a pulley fixed at the bottom of the screen. These screens can be wall mounted and ceiling mounted. These projector screens are suitable for schools and colleges.
- Tripod Projector Screens – Tripod projector screen is extremely portable and can be operated in any location. A tripod projector screen has 2 parts – the screen and the tripod which holds the screen. It is extremely lightweight and easy to carry. These projector screens provide excellent value for money.
- Fixed Frame Screens – Fixed frame screens are considered the best of all projector screens and are mostly used for commercial purposes. These screens are permanently fixed in the room; they can’t be tolled up and down. These screens tend to last much longer than other types of screen and they provide the best picture quality.
- Floor Rising Screens – These are lightweight projector screens that can be set up and taken down as required. They come in one piece, so there is no need for assembling the screen.
- Inflatable Projector Screens – These screens provide good picture quality both indoors and outdoors. So, these types of screens can be used for watching movies or games in the backyard. These screens self-inflate and it can be adjusted to suit various viewing angles. The screen material is specially designed to withstand hot and cold outdoor temperatures, rain and wind.
Size – One of the most important physical features of a projector screen to take into consideration is the screen size. There are a number of standard formats available in the market – HDTV 16:9 format, Widescreen PC 16:10 format, Cinema 2.35:1 format, Video 4:3 format, Square 1:1 format.
- HDTV format is ideal for home theater and its aspect ratio matches with projectors having native 4K UHD resolution, 1080p HD resolution, and 720p HD resolution.
- The Widescreen PC format is suitable for official presentations and it supports the native WXGA (1280 x 800) resolution, WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) resolution, and WUXGA (1920×1200) resolution.
- The Cinema format is suitable for a movie screen experience. The Video format is suitable for those who switch frequently between full screen and widescreen viewing.
- The Square format is suitable for those who use the screen for data presentations. One of the benefits of the Square format is that you can achieve multiple aspect ratios with it.
Screen Material – video projection screens are made from various materials and they are designed to reflect as much light as possible to produce bright images. The material used for the screen determines the screen gain and viewing angle of the screen. The color of the screen fabric also affects the contrast of the projected image. White screens are an industry standard because they produce bright images, while grey screens are better for darker tones. If you are looking for a screen for cinema or home theater, then you should choose a screen with acoustic transparency. It is the ability of the screen to allow the sounds to pass through it with minimal interference. Today, most screens are made for high-resolution viewing. These are HD screens that have excellent color fidelity, contrast, and definition, which make them suitable for high-quality video projectors.
Best Projector Screens in India
|Projector Screens||Screen Type||Average Aspect Ratio||Average Gain||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Inlight Projector Screen||Map Type||4:3||1.2||N/A||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|ELCOR Projector Screen||Map Type||4:03||1.1||1 Year||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Inlight Projector Screen||Motorized Remote Controlled||4:3||N/A||1 Year||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|ELCOR Projector Screen||Wall Spring||4:03||1.1||1 Year||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Royality industries Projector Screen||Map Type||4:03||N/A||N/A||CHECK ON AMAZON|
First on our list is the inlight map type projector that can be retracted and rolled in. An import quality projector screen, the size of this portable screen is 6 feet x 4 feet.
Inlight can support 1080P, 3D videos and is a 4K Ready Technology which lets you view high definition images and movies with greater picture quality. For this, it showcases video in a 4:3 format that is 84 inches (or) 7 feet in diagonal length.
It is made of resilient fabric that has a 1.2 gain that absorbs less light and reflects a better picture quality. Thus reducing the strain on your eyes, you can use the fabric to view the screen from any angle you wish like. Also, it comes with a special anti UV coating that protects your eyes.
Easy to use and has very low maintenance, the screen is coated with pure black on the backside and crystal white on the front.
- Map type rollable projector screen
- High-quality and easy to clean fabric used
- 1.2 gain fabric
- 4:3 video format
- Anti UV coating
- High and Low contrast video viewing on any angle is easy
- No warranty mentioned
Next on our list is a calendar type/map type projector screen from Elcor. Spanning about 4 feet in height and 6 feet in width, the projector has an 84 inches diagonal length.
For this, it as an aspect ratio of 4:03 which provides ample resolution and screen clarity for almost every type of projector. The projector is compatible with HD video, 3D Video and is also enabled with 4K ready technology.
The size mentioned above is a standard entry-level size. The screen is available in wider aspects and larger diagonal sizes as well. Other variants available are 100 inches, 120 inches and 150 inches.
As for the gain, the screen projects a 1.1 Gain fabric with 160 degrees viewing angles. Easy to clean and maintain, the backside of the projector screen is high-quality pith black. Also, the four sides of the screen are padded with black for maintaining a good screen to projector aspect and thus a better viewing experience.
Furthermore, the Elcor screen comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty available from the date of purchase. For any further queries and information, you can contact their support at 9999589401
- Map type rollable projector screen
- Compatible with HD, 3D and 4K videos
- Available in 84 inches, 100 inches, 120 inches and 150 inches diagonal sizes
- Aspect ratio begins at 4:03 and grows through as the screen size increases
- 1.1 gain fabric that provides clear viewing
- Has 160 degrees of viewing angles
- The back of the screen is pure black
- 4 sides are coated with black padding
- Easy to clean and maintain
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- None found so far
Next on our list is yet another Inlight product. This one is not a map type projector like our first product. Instead, this inlight product is a motorized projector screen.
Similar to the Elcor, this one too is not available just in a single size or aspect ratio. Primarily, we have the 8 feet by 6 feet large projector screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio and a 120 inches diagonal size.
Apart from that, there are other size ratios such as 6 feet by 4 feet, 7 feet by 4 feet, 7 Feet by 5 feet, 8 feet by 4.5 feet, 9 feet by 5 feet. All of these sizes have different aspect ratios depending on their general sizes and diagonal sizes
The screen supports a maximum resolution of Ultra HD all while supporting 3D and 4k resolution video as well. The a+++++ grade fabric is coated with an anti UV coating that protects your eyes. Furthermore, the viewing angles possible on this screen is 180 degrees.
Moreover, it comes with a separate radio frequency cordless remote that lets you open and close the screen from a distance. The lifetime lubricated motor opens and closes the screen efficiently and without any loud noises.
The back of the projector screen is coated with black colour and the front is coated with white and padded with black colour for enhanced viewing experience.
Easy to clean and maintain, the screen comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty. For any further queries, you can contact their support at 09810080112
- Motorized and remote-controlled projector screen
- Available in almost 6 different sizes and aspect ratio
- General aspect ratio is of the order 4:3
- Supports 3D, 4k and also Ultra HD
- 180 degrees viewing angle
- A+++++ grade fabric
- The Motor is lubricated and silent in operation
- Easy to clean and maintain
- The backside is coated with pure black and the front with white and padded black
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- None to mention
Again an ELCOR device, the ELCOR manual is a wall spring action projector screen. Similar to the first ELCOR product, this one too comes in various sizes and aspect ratios.
The default recommended size is the 100 inches diagonal sized screen of the order 5 feet by 7 feet dimensions. It has a 4:03 aspect ratio. Apart from these, ELCOR spring action also comes in an 84 inches and 120 inches model sizes as well. There is also a 150 inches version which has a matt fabric.
As for this one, it is a washable cotton fabric that comes with an anti UV coating that protects your eyes. The fabric is A+++++ grade with a 1.1 gain (the gain is the same for all the sizes except for the 150 matte fabric, which is 1.2; Higher is better for gain)
The backside of the screen is painted black whereas the front is crystal white with certain black paddings for better viewing experience.
The projector screen is an automatic roll-up model and thus you need to hook it down with a nail or a pin. As is the case with most of the products on the list, this one too comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Retractable wall spring action projector screen
- Available in 4 different sizes with a basic aspect ratio of 4:03
- The average gain is 1.1
- Easy to clean and wash
- Compatible with HD, 3D video and 4K resolution as well
- The backside is coated with pure black and the front has white colour and black padding
- 1 Year warranty
- The hook sometimes can be an issue if you do not have a nail or anything to keep it down
Finally, we have the Royality Industries’s Universal MAP type projector screen. This one too comes in various sizes and aspect ratios.
The general model is the 6 feet by 4 feet in an 84 inches diagonal size with an aspect ratio of 4:03. Other sizes include 7 feet by 5 feet, 8 feet by 6 feet and 10 feet by 8 feet. The last one is the largest screen size in the entire list.
Manually foldable and rolled over, the screen is durable and easily washable and cleanable. The average gain of the fabric is not mentioned but given the reviews, it is speculated to be high enough for a better viewing experience.
The backside is coated with black whereas the front is white in colour and black padded borders. With the ability to deliver and portray bright colours and crisp picture quality, the projector screen can deliver in HD, 4K and 3D videos as well.
- Easily foldable map type projector screen
- Available in 4 different sizes and aspect ratios
- Average aspect ratio is 4:03
- Supports 4k, HD and 3D video
- Backside is pure black whereas the front is white with black border paddings
- Easy to wash, clean and maintain
- No warranty
Though the Inlight Map Type Projector Screen does not come with any warranty, their reviews are raving and supportive of its quality. This 6Wx4H large map type projector screen has a high-quality fabric, 1.2 high gain. Anti UV coating and supports 4:3 high aspect ratio making it by default the best projector screen on our list.
While those were our picks, we are eager to listen to your picks. Did we miss out on anything? Do you have something you’d like to add or have any questions regarding projector screens? Feel free to write to us in the comments section below and our product expert team will get back to you as soon as possible.