Whether you are a Youtuber, professional singer, stand-up comedian, gamer or orator, you need a good microphone to make your voice herd. Microphones are not just for making your voice audible to the masses, a quality microphone can improve your voice clarity and sound quality while a low quality microphone can make you sound scratchy. The basic working mechanism of microphones is quite simple. They capture the energy produced from the sound waves and convert the sound into electrical energy. Now, there are two different ways to convert the sound waves into electrical energy – condenser and dynamic microphones. Although, different recording situations call for different kind of microphones, it is essential to get some idea about the basic mechanisms of a microphone before you purchase one.
Things to Look For While Selecting a Microphone
Purpose of use – One of the most important things to consider while buying a microphone is what are you going to use it for? If you intend to record YouTube videos in your kitchen or bedroom studio then buying a medium quality microphone is good enough. If you are in to live stage performances then buying a high quality microphone with high-end mic preamp makes sense. Then there are a number of models that serve both studio recordings and stage performances quite well.
Specifications of a Microphone
- Impedance – It is best to choose a microphone with low impedance. They pick up less low-level noise and do a better job at transmitting high-frequency signals over long cables. Microphones with impedance level of 200 Ohms or lower are best.
- Sensitivity – Sensitivity is the ability of a microphone to pick up low-volume sounds. Try to select a microphone that has a higher value and less variance.
- Frequency Response – Most microphones as a fixed given frequency prance with means the microphone will pick up sounds only in the mentioned frequency range. It is best to choose a microphone with bigger frequency range.
- Polar Pattern – Polar pattern describes a microphone’s field of sensitivity (the directions from with it will pick up sounds). Omnidirectional microphones pick up sounds from all directions; bi-directional microphones pick up sounds from east and west, but ignore sounds from north and south. Unidirectional microphones are available in 3 polar patterns – cardioid, supercardioid and hypercardioid. All of these patterns ignore sound coming from behind the microphone.
Types of Microphones
Microphones can be divided into two main categories – dynamic and condenser microphones.
- Dynamic Microphones – Dynamic microphones are extremely versatile and have a simple and sturdy design. They are available in a wide range of prices and quality. Dynamic microphones convert sound waves into electricity. Inside the microphone, there is a wire coil placed next to a magnet. When the sound wave hits the coil, it vibrates in relation to the magnet which creates current that is passed through a wire into the recording device. Dynamic microphones have the loudest sound which makes them suitable for live shows.
- Condenser Microphones – Condenser microphones have a more complex setup and mechanism. These microphones create stronger audio signals that make them more sensitive and responsive compared to dynamic microphones. Condenser microphones are best suited for recording softer sounds and melodies form acoustic instruments.
- Ribbon Microphones – Ribbon microphones are basically dynamic microphones, but instead of the wire coil, there is a metal conductor or ribbon that vibrates when the sound waves hit it. These microphones are expensive and extremely sensitive but they do produce warm and detailed sound.
|Blue Microphones||crystal clear audio||Check the Price|
|Rode||High Quality||Check the Price|
|Floureon||Reduces Noise||Check the Price|
|Aeoss||Minimises Background Noise||Check the Price|
|Samson||Switchable Cardiod||Check the Price|
|Zabel||Low frequency attenuation||Check the Price|
|Shure||Durable||Check the Price|
|Ahuja||Highly Reliable||Check the Price|
|Philips||Omni Directional||Check the Price|
|Xpro||High sensitivity||Check the Price|
Best Microphones in India
This is a multipurpose microphone that helps you to create and record high quality audio files and deliver speeches. This microphone is suitable for your home studio, office and seminar halls. It features a custom condenser capsule with omnidirectional cardioid recording pattern that offers crisp and clear audio. It is extremely easy and simple to connect – just plug and play through USB to connect to your PC or Mac. It does not require any drivers. The microphone is literally shaped like a ball adjusted on a swivel that allows you to adjust the microphone in any direction. Although, it is not a professional studio-level microphone but it has a decent performance in case of live speeches and YouTube recordings.
- Stylish and sturdy design
- Crystal clear sound
- Simple connection to computers and laptops through USB port
- Best value for money
- No audio inputs or outputs other than USB
- Recording mode switch is not intuitively marked
- No recording software included
This is a high-end studio microphone suitable for professional music recording. It gives crystal clear and solid sound quality for music and voice recordings but it is slightly more expensive than the rest of the microphones in this list. It has simple and easy connectivity via USB port and it comes with a tripod stand, pop shield and ring mount. It has a sturdy and stylish design and comes with on-board mix controls that allow the user to change the sound quality and set the best levels quickly. The microphone features a cardioid condenser that does a great job at picking up vocals and acoustic instruments. The pop filter prevents distortion of the sound files even if the vocalist sings high notes or delivers the lyrics loudly. It also has a headphone jack so that the user can hear what the microphone picks up while recording. This microphone is compatible with both PCs and Macs but the user need to get hold of the recording software separately.
- Headphone jack
- On-board mix controls
- Integrated Pop-filter
- Easy connectivity via USB
- No XLR port
- Tripod stand is too small for practical use
- Average recording quality
- More expensive that competitors
This is a complete studio condenser recording microphone with inbuilt pop filter that comes with a stand and microphone clip. It has a 180 degree polar pattern that provides impressive sound and only picks of low-mid frequencies behind the microphone. It features a built-in Reverb chip with adjustable reverb knob that provides an echo effect. The Noise Reduce Cardioid pick-up pattern minimizes background noise perfectly. The amplifier chip allows the user to amplify the output volume up to 25 times. It has simple USB connectivity and does not require any driver installation.
- Noise Reduce Cardioid does not pick up background noise
- Amplifier chip amplifies output volume up to 25 times
- Built-in Reverb chip for reverb effect
- USB jack to supply power to the microphone
- 180-degree polar pattern
- Low quality of the mic stand and mic clip
- Not enough control provided with the effects
This is an affordable and quality condensed microphone suitable for voice and music recording and radio broadcasting. It is a complete microphone setup that comes with a shock mount and pop filter. It features uni-directional cardioid sound pick up pattern that cuts out all background noise and isolates the main source of sound and provides crystal clear sound. The shock mount provided with the microphone cuts out mechanically transmitted noise that can originate from vibrations of the floor stand. The large diaphragm of the condensed mic provides smooth and warm sound. It comes with a 3.5mm audio plug that connects the microphone directly to computers and laptops.
- Uni-directional pick-up pattern
- Works without phantom power
- Great noise cancellation
- Comes with shock mount
- Strong build quality
- Can’t be connected to mobile phones and tabs
This is a sleek and stylish portable USB condenser microphone prefect for podcasting, music recording and field recording. It has a compact and sturdy design and is extremely portable. It has simple plug and play connectivity via USB and is compatible with PC and Mac. It does not require any additional drivers. It has switchable cardioid or omnidirectional pickup patterns that allow the user to customize the type of recording. Unlike regular microphones, Samson Go Mic can be used for voice recognition software, iChat, webcasting and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
- Smart compact design
- Extremely portable
- Good sound quality
- Switchable cardioid or omnidirectional pickup patterns
- Maximum SPL handling is lower than other microphones
- Lack of depth in the recordings
This is an affordable condenser microphone for studio recordings that comes at a much cheaper price compared to other condenser microphones. It has simple plug and play connectivity that can be connected directly to laptops and PCs via the 3.5mm audio jack. It features a cardioid sound head that cuts out the noise coming from behind the microphone and enhances the quality of the main source of sound. Low noise and high sensitivity radio present in the microphone allows it to stand high sound pressure while the low electromagnetic coupling interference ensures low noise. Low output impedance of the microphone makes sure that the microphone picks up sounds accurately without any electro-magnetic interference.
- Comes with large diaphragm for smooth sound
- Connects to laptop without phantom power
- Low noise
- Can’t be connected to mobile phone or tablet
- Picks up background noise
This is an excellent multi-purpose microphone from a reputed brand that is ideal for instrument use, multimedia, speeches and karaoke. Unidirectional cardioid polar pattern of the microphone reduces feedback and background noise and improves quality of the main sound source. Wide frequency response and high output delivery of the microphone ensures amazing sound quality. The microphone has a sturdy and durable design and it is extremely portable.
- Good sound quality
- No background noise
- Strong build
- Cable not XLR powered
- Can’t be connected to mobile phones
- Not phantom powered
As the name suggests, this is an entry level karaoke microphone from Ahuja, a reputed brand name in the sound reinforcement industry. This is a dynamic unidirectional microphone that has amazing sound pick up from the main sound source. It cuts out back ground noise perfectly and provides crystal clear sound quality. It has 600 ohms impedance and 50-15000Hz frequency that picks up both low and high pitched sounds efficiently without any distortions. The microphone comes with 3 meters of shielded cable with (1/4″) phone plug that can be easily connected to the output device.
- Good sound quality for the price
- Durable and quality product
- Can’t be connected to mobile phones and tabs
This is a standard corded microphone from Philips that is ideal for PC recordings and karaoke. It has basic features and can be connected easily to a computer or laptop. Although, it provides decent vocal recording but it lacks depth. It is an omni-directional microphone that picks up sounds uniformly from all sides with equal gain. The 25mm diaphragm of the microphone picks up each and every detail without any distortions. Windshield present in the microphone improves sound quality and cutting out noise. The microphone can be easily connected to the output device using the 1.5m long cable.
- Omni-directional polar pattern for uniform sound from all sides
- Decent sound clarity
- Extremely affordable
- Sound lacks bass
- Sound requires boosting program
This is a high-sensitivity desktop microphone suitable for speeches and voice recordings. The omni-directional polar pattern of the microphone picks up sounds uniformly from all directions and ensures crystal clear sound free of distortion. The flexible stand of the microphone allows the user to adjust the microphone at the preferred height. This is a stylish gadget with a sleek and smart design. It comes with a 2.0 meters cable with a 3.5mm gold plated jack for easy connectivity.
- Good sound clarity
- No background noise
- Flexible stand
- No On/Off button
- Low range of capturing sound
Available on Amazon.in
So, the list of the best microphones in India ends here. “Blue Microphones Snowball iCE Condenser Microphone” is our top pick from the list because it is a good quality multipurpose microphone from a reputed brand available at an affordable price that can be used for audio recordings and live speeches.